Skip to main content

Water Soluble Packages

Water Soluble Packages (WSP) are designed to reduce exposure during mixing and loading.  However, the Agricultural Handlers Exposure Task Force (AHETF) found that
 users were more exposed when using Water Soluble Packages than Wettable Powders.

Exposure occurred when users sprayed high pressure water on the packets and/or intentionally broke the packets to help them dissolve.  

Use Water Soluble Packages properly to reduce exposure.  Follow these handling and mixing instructions developed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the AHETF.
Handling Instructions
 Mix in the spray tank only.  
 Keep the WSP intact. Do not cut or puncture the WSP.  Do not break or release the contents.
 Keep the WSP in the outer packaging until just before use.
 Keep the WSP dry until adding it to the spray tank.
 Reseal the WSP in its outer packaging to protect any unused WSP(S).
 Handle with dry gloves.

If the WSP tears or ruptures before or during handling, put on full Protective Clothing and Equipment as required by the label.

Mixing Instructions
 Remove the basket or strainer before adding the WSP to the tank.
 Fill tank with water to approximately one-third to one-half of the desired volume.
 Stop adding water.  Stop mixing.  Place the intact and unopened WSP(s) into the tank.
 Do not spray water from a hose or fill pipe to break or dissolve the WSP(s).
 Agitate from the bottom of tank without using any overhead recirculation if possible.  Shut the tank lid.
 Allow time for the WPS to dissolve. It may take up to 5 minutes or longer, depending on water temperature, water hardness and agitation.
 Stop agitation before you open the tank lid and check if the WPS is fully dissolved.
 Once fully dissolved, add any other products and fill the tank with water to the desired level.  Keep agitating during transport and application.

Most Read

Restricted Entry Intervals

Restricted Entry Interval (REI) is the period of time after a pesticide has been applied that agricultural workers or anyone else must not do hand labour tasks in treated areas.  The REI allows the pesticide residues and vapours to dissipate to safe levels for work to be done. Hand labour tasks involve substantial worker contact with treated surfaces such as plants, plant parts or soil.  Examples of these activities include: ·   harvesting, detasseling, thinning, weeding, scouting, planting, mowing, roguing, and packing produce into containers in the field or greenhouse. You can only do these tasks after the Restricted Entry Interval has ended.

Emergency Numbers

Emergency Numbers 9-1-1 Spills Action Centre: 1-800-268-6060 Ontario Poison Centre: 1-800-268-9017 Transport Emergencies: *666 (cell) 1-888-CANUTEC 1-888-226-8832 Farm Information Contact Person: Phone: 9-1-1 Address: Ontario Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks: -      Regional Office: -       District Office: Pesticide Vendor: Insurance Agent: Pest Management Regulatory Agency:                              1-800-267-6315 Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs:  1-877-424-1300 Ontario Pesticide Education Program 1-800-652-8573

Selling Class D Pesticides

Selling Class D Pesticides There are requirements that vendors must follow for the sale of Class D pesticides.  The requirements depend on the product’s active ingredients and labelled uses.  There are Class D products that can be sold to anyone.  These products have: all their active ingredients on the Allowable List , namely the List of Active Ingredients Authorized for Cosmetic Uses. These are low risk pesticides or biopesticides that can be used to manage weeds, insects or other pests affecting lawns and gardens around the home ; or all their uses are allowed in Ontario, that is, there are no banned cosmetic uses on the label. Examples include ant control products used inside a home or repellants for mosquitoes and biting flies. Certain Class D products are Controlled Sales pesticides.  Controlled Sales pesticides are pesticides that are used in, on or over land and: have directions for use that are both allowed and not allowed by the cosmetic ban, or have directions

Ontario Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks: Pesticide Specialist Offices

Ontario Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks:  Pesticides Specialist Offices Region Field Offices Telephone Central 5775 Yonge St, 8th Floor Toronto    M2M 4J1 1-800-810-8048 416-326-6700 West-Central Ontario Gov't. Bldg., 119 King St. W., 12 th Flr Hamilton    L8P 4Y7 1-800-668-4557 905-521-7640 Eastern 1259 Gardiners Road, Unit 3 Kingston    K7P 3J6 1-800-267-0974 613-549-4000 Southwestern 733 Exeter Rd., London    N6E 1L3 1-800-265-7672 519-873-5000 Northern 199 Larch Street, Suite 1201 Sudbury    P3E 5P9 1-800-890-8516 705-564-3237 Ontario Gov’t Bldg., 435 James St. South Suite 331, 3 rd Floor Thunder Bay    P7E 6S7 1-800-875-7772 807-475-1205 Technical Assessment and Standards Development Branch Pesticides Section 40 St. Clair Avenue West, Toronto   

Pesticide Safety for Farmer Assistants

Farmer Assistants who use Class B or C pesticides on farms must be trained. Certified Farmers are responsible for all pesticide use and handling on their farms including the use and handling of Class B or C pesticides by Farmer Assistants supervised by Certified Farmers.  Farmer Assistants could be family members, farm employees or seasonal workers.   Farmer Assistants must: Be 16 years of age or older Work on a farm under the supervision of a Certified Farmer have basic pesticide safety training recognized by the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks before they handle or use Class 2 or 3 pesticides re-train every 5 years.   There are two ways for Farmer Assistants to get the training they need.   They can: participate in a Grower Pesticide Safety Course (no test required), or participate in a training session presented by an On-Farm Instructor . On-Farm Instructors   The Ontario Pesticide Education Program offers half day sessions (fee of $65) for Certifi

Restricted Entry Interval Signs - For Sale

For Sale: Restricted Entry Interval Signs Trilingual - Spanish, French, and English One way to notify farm workers and others of the Restricted Entry Interval is to post a sign at the main ways into areas applied with pesticides. Two types of 12 x 12” signs are available:      REI Sign Laminated                      REI Sign Corrugated Plastic  -   Durable laminated cardstock                  - Sturdy plastic  -   Dry erase, suitable for writing                 - Indoor and outdoor u  -   1 grommet hole for hanging                   - 2 grommet holes To order , please call 1-800-652-8573. HST and shipping included in the prices below. A.  REI Sign Corrugated Plastic – package of 3 – PRICE $19.20 B.  REI Sign Corrugated Plastic – package of`10 – PRICE $42.95 C.  REI Sign Laminated – package of 3 – PRICE $19.20 D.  REI Sign Laminated – package of 10 – PRICE $42.95 Ontario Pesticide Education Program,  University of Gu